Project Solar Ark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forums for the production of the game Solar Ark

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

weapon trump system

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Verinium
High Captain
High Captain
Verinium

weapon trump system Empty
PostSubject: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:17 am

Is there going to be a weapon trump system that is automatic, or is it going to be determined by skill? such as , swords beat axes, axes beat lances, ect. or lances have a longer reach, axes are slower, but depending on how the player blocks and runs around to avoid being hit, is how good the weapons are.
Back to top Go down
REJB
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:20 am

I'm not sure we haven't really discussed that yet but that is something we can think about
Back to top Go down
Skeletor0303
High Captain
High Captain
Skeletor0303

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:24 am

For a tactics turn based game like FE, yes a weapons trump system is great to have, but for our style of gameplay, which is run around action RPG, it may not matter if weapons trump others. Sure it adds a tactical perspective like att boost/loss, but im not sure it would work all too considering commands such as evade and block, unless were avoiding that, which to me would seem like a bad idea cuz its realistic and thgats what were shooting for
Back to top Go down
Verinium
High Captain
High Captain
Verinium

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:31 am

Skeletor0303 wrote:
For a tactics turn based game like FE, yes a weapons trump system is great to have, but for our style of gameplay, which is run around action RPG, it may not matter if weapons trump others. Sure it adds a tactical perspective like att boost/loss, but im not sure it would work all too considering commands such as evade and block, unless were avoiding that, which to me would seem like a bad idea cuz its realistic and thgats what were shooting for
so then the second one, basicly just try and avoid their attacks, the bigger weapons will hit harder but move slower, the longer weapons will attack normally but have a long range, andthe shorter weapons will be quick but less powerful. leaving it up to player skill. then dodge and block can either be added as a command that has a percentage of success or simply be on chance of an enemy hitting you, your character will auto dodge depending on if the chance suceeds or not.
Back to top Go down
Skeletor0303
High Captain
High Captain
Skeletor0303

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:33 am

Right I think that would be the best option as far as a weapon system, and customizing your character based on what kind of stats they have is also a plus. for instance if theyre bad at def, you can put points into avoid and same goes for evasion, where if it was low you could put points into block
Back to top Go down
Verinium
High Captain
High Captain
Verinium

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:36 am

Skeletor0303 wrote:
Right I think that would be the best option as far as a weapon system, and customizing your character based on what kind of stats they have is also a plus. for instance if theyre bad at def, you can put points into avoid and same goes for evasion, where if it was low you could put points into block
that also adds to more of the weapon stats, would the weapons be simply attack and defence stats? or perhaps they would add to agil and block depending on their weight and size/possibility of enchant. all things we need to discuss.
Back to top Go down
Skeletor0303
High Captain
High Captain
Skeletor0303

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:46 am

Absolutely. I think weapons have a big impact on stats and abilities, not to mention we havent even dicussed armor yet
Back to top Go down
Verinium
High Captain
High Captain
Verinium

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:55 am

Great point, my guy for one wont have that heavy of armor, as it would just be destroyed to quickly and would get in the way of dynamics such as flying/transforming, not to mention hes meant to be suseptable to attack, giving players the ability to heavily armor him would take the fun out of the risk of using him. They get to use him armored when he shifts forms lol.
Back to top Go down
Skeletor0303
High Captain
High Captain
Skeletor0303

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:58 am

Same thing with Ario, he will be armored, but not greatly. Neverthless, i think that stat boosts and/or enchantment should be applicable to every type of equip
Back to top Go down
Verinium
High Captain
High Captain
Verinium

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:06 am

Skeletor0303 wrote:
Same thing with Ario, he will be armored, but not greatly. Neverthless, i think that stat boosts and/or enchantment should be applicable to every type of equip
dont get me wrong, if a person enchants the light armor to increase its value thats fine, im just saying i dont want them sticking 100+ pound armor on a character thats supposed to be able to fly lol.
Back to top Go down
Xero
Vanguard
Vanguard

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:19 am

Here is my two cents:

I think as far as weapons go stats like weight and other "realistic" things make more sense for the type of game we are playing. I remember we also discussed a forge system where you could work with the quality of the metal. This could possibly contribute to a system where you could use better/rarer alloys to make your super heavy weapon lighter; creating one instance of how you could improve it.

As far as how the characters themselves use certain weapons I think it should be something like an experience system.

For example: The heavier armor/weapons/gear you wear and use the more your characters physical strength would increase, thus allowing you to use them more efficiently. This creates sort of a "weapon proficiency system".

However this does create a problem; we don't want to make a game where you simply just try to make your characters use the heaviest weapon in the game right? That makes the whole thing too 1 sided.

Personally, if we used such a system, we should go ahead and make more proficiencies like "physical strength", perhaps something like the ability to use a more exotic weapon? something that would require more than just strength.
Back to top Go down
https://solararc.forumakers.com
Xero
Vanguard
Vanguard

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:21 am

Just went back and saw this:

Verinium wrote:
Skeletor0303 wrote:
dont get me wrong, if a person enchants the light armor to increase its value thats fine, im just saying i dont want them sticking 100+ pound armor on a character thats supposed to be able to fly lol.

Exactly, so even if you could make your character physically "stronger" there should be some sort of cap to the stat. Or perhaps like every leveling system it just becomes increasingly harder to level that stat. And maybe people with a better natural talent would have an easier time leveling those stats.
Back to top Go down
Verinium
High Captain
High Captain
Verinium

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:33 am

Xero wrote:
Just went back and saw this:

Verinium wrote:
Skeletor0303 wrote:

Exactly, so even if you could make your character physically "stronger" there should be some sort of cap to the stat. Or perhaps like every leveling system it just becomes increasingly harder to level that stat. And maybe people with a better natural talent would have an easier time leveling those stats.

personally i like the idea of just capping it off, each character isnt generic, they are all custom built by us and we, the designer of said character, know that characters limits, thus we can set a maximum armor size to fit how we want the character to work, however i also like the proficiency idea, as long as its an allod armor type, allowing the character to become better at useing it and having this proficiency provide bonuses when wearing armor of that type could add a great aspect to the game, and give the player a way to improve a usually defenceless character.
Back to top Go down
Xero
Vanguard
Vanguard

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:41 am

Hmm, the idea in my mind is I want a lot of the "systems" in this game to be as highly realistic as possible. So I'd prefer the idea that it would get harder to raise a stat then just out right capping it. However, it wouldn't just get "harder" it would get obscenely hard. You could make a character who doesn't use swords have a decent proficencey with them, but in order to become very strong with them it would take more trouble than it's worth. I just like the idea of it being there.

It's more of a way to improve the weak areas of a character, like you said.
Back to top Go down
Skeletor0303
High Captain
High Captain
Skeletor0303

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:43 am

I like that idea, That way if you wanted to say, have Ario use a spear, you would be able to, but it would take a lot of patience and time to do, just to make him slightly good with them
Back to top Go down
Xero
Vanguard
Vanguard

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:49 am

Skeletor0303 wrote:
I like that idea, That way if you wanted to say, have Ario use a spear, you would be able to, but it would take a lot of patience and time to do, just to make him slightly good with them

Anyone become a master of something, however, if you have no talent for it, it would take you more time then it was worth.

It makes far more sense to make your warrior types use weapons and your magic users use magic.
Back to top Go down
Verinium
High Captain
High Captain
Verinium

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:50 am

Xero wrote:
Hmm, the idea in my mind is I want a lot of the "systems" in this game to be as highly realistic as possible. So I'd prefer the idea that it would get harder to raise a stat then just out right capping it. However, it wouldn't just get "harder" it would get obscenely hard. You could make a character who doesn't use swords have a decent proficencey with them, but in order to become very strong with them it would take more trouble than it's worth. I just like the idea of it being there.

but again, in some cases it wouldnt make sense, such as, i hate to beat the horse, a character that is supposed to fly, i understand for basic characters, that not using heavy armor is more of a choice, that character just isnt good at it, but in this case its just down right impractical and impossible, unless we added that it would take away some of his abilities as it would prevent him from realisticly using them if you gave him too heavy of armor, that would be acceptable.
Back to top Go down
Skeletor0303
High Captain
High Captain
Skeletor0303

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:53 am

Absolutely, Like for instance, making a light character try to use a heavy weapon like an 2H axe. There just no way theyd be able to lift it, thus not being able to train with it. An added Stat like Constitution could fix that programming problem really quick
Back to top Go down
Xero
Vanguard
Vanguard

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:53 am

Verinium wrote:
Xero wrote:

but again, in some cases it wouldnt make sense, such as, i hate to beat the horse, a character that is supposed to fly, i understand for basic characters, that not using heavy armor is more of a choice, that character just isnt good at it, but in this case its just down right impractical and impossible, unless we added that it would take away some of his abilities as it would prevent him from realisticly using them if you gave him too heavy of armor, that would be acceptable.

I suppose that makes sense. It would be impossible for you to wear certain armors and use certain weapons if you weren't strong enough anyway.
Back to top Go down
Xero
Vanguard
Vanguard

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:54 am

Skeletor0303 wrote:
Absolutely, Like for instance, making a light character try to use a heavy weapon like an 2H axe. There just no way theyd be able to lift it, thus not being able to train with it. An added Stat like Constitution could fix that programming problem really quick

That's what this "physical strength" stat I've been talking about is.
Back to top Go down
Skeletor0303
High Captain
High Captain
Skeletor0303

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:55 am

yes i know Im giving it a name now lol
Back to top Go down
Verinium
High Captain
High Captain
Verinium

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:58 am

now that i think of it, perhaps that could work actually, have it so like light armor and below have the normal moves as "proficiency bonuses" such as, if this character is using light armor or below, it gains -, and then have it so you can train your physical strength to upgrade this limit further, i mean i guess it is feasable that if you epic worked out that eventually the wings could become so powerful that it could lift the armor, but then to this point when the character used light armor with this amount of strength he should be able to take off like a god damn jet plane.
Back to top Go down
Skeletor0303
High Captain
High Captain
Skeletor0303

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:59 am

Verinium wrote:
now that i think of it, perhaps that could work actually, have it so like light armor and below have the normal moves as "proficiency bonuses" such as, if this character is using light armor or below, it gains -, and then have it so you can train your physical strength to upgrade this limit further, i mean i guess it is feasable that if you epic worked out that eventually the wings could become so powerful that it could lift the armor, but then to this point when the character used light armor with this amount of strength he should be able to take off like a god damn jet plane.

Again this is all stuff we can talk about at the meeting. LOL at "take off like a god damn jet plane"
Back to top Go down
REJB
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:06 am

This is all really good stuff. This will make customizing your character a lot easier
Back to top Go down
Skeletor0303
High Captain
High Captain
Skeletor0303

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:07 am

Well, not neccessarily easier, but yes there is that option lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: weapon trump system   weapon trump system Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

weapon trump system
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next